Re: [OM] OM Centerweight Metering Patterns

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Centerweight Metering Patterns
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 11:17:37 -0700
I am a doofus. Here I have the most sophisticated multi-spot camera, and I still get fooled by careless use of automatic mode (no spot) in backlight situations, especially when I am in a hurry. As I understand it, the OM-2SP has a "continuous" spot mode, which I take it to mean that it's taking the metering on the center spot constantly.

Barring that, are the (centerweight) metering patterns similar across all the single digit OMs? Any of them have a narrower pattern than the OM-4/T?

Don't the Leicas (no, I haven't gotten one since I still don't have that much money burning in my pocket) have a very narrow pattern?

// richard http://www.imagecraft.com
[ For technical support, please include all previous replies in your msgs. ]

I think from my experience and looking at the meter response graphs over the years in Popular Photography that most metering until matrix systems covered most the short dimension of the frame with, sometimes, more weight given to the center. Some of the mechanical Canons like my old F1 had a central rectangle for meter sensitivity that was 3 or 4 times the size of the focusing aid. So it was a semi spot, but it was complete manual.

I have known people to devise little systems to remind themselves to do things. A little temporary something taped to the camera where you grasp it might remind you to think about the metering until it becomes a habit.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?