RE: [OM] Which s/n of the 55/1.2 is radioactive?

Subject: RE: [OM] Which s/n of the 55/1.2 is radioactive?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 20:32:31 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey! You didn't hear my opinion yet...:) Now, of course, as a devout
zuikoholic (who didn't drink the same coffee as my fellow listees), I have
to bring balance to the topic by praising the lens for what it's worth :)

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:

> > It is a fine lens, but if you already have a 50/1.4, I'd
> > pass.  There are other things to add to your Zuinventory first.

I recently got a 55/1.2 from Tom Scales, along with a 50/1.4. Between
those two, the immediate difference is that the 55/1.2 is heavier and
bigger. Just from the looks, I immediately fell in love with the large
glass in the front lens of the 55/1.2.....the poor 50/1.4 faded in
comparison, although that too is a very good lens that I got in good
shape.

Anyways, I just got a 55/1.2, so these are my very naive first
impressions....

>  and also
>
> >If you need any more reasons, it's also longer, fatter, 310g vs. the
> >230g of the 1.4, uses 55mm filters and needs a different hood. Oh, and
> >only half a stop faster than the 1.4.

Well...I was looking to build a good 55mm kit, not wanting to always carry
two set of all filters. I have the 24/2, 35/2, 135/2.8 and 400/4, which
all take 55mm threads. But the gap between 35 and 135 is quite steep - and
the 50mm-range has become "standard" for a reason. So...the option was
55/1.2. Fortunately, Tom could help me to get an absolutely mint sample.

Anyways, in this crowd of lenses, the added weight of the 55/1.2 was not
really a big issue for me, however the 55mm thread was. So that was a
perfect match in this game :)

Never mind if it's only gives half a stop more than the 50/1.4. I did some
twillight shots recently, and I did found the extra half stop to be very
helpfull. Either that, or I am in love ... :)

>  and then
>
> >You do have to be willing to live with the color cast though,
> >fix it digitally, or use B&W film.

I've heard this before (from the same list member who wrote this, I
believe), and it's probably true. I'm doing mainly b/w, and for this it
doesn't matter. I shot a roll of Provia 160VS, which also came out very
fine with no (visible, at least) cast for me.

This weekend I had a roll of Ektachrome 100SW through it. It's being
processed right now, so the jury is not back with a verdict on the cast
here. I believe that if there is any, it should be visible on the slides.

> > It's also a bit tricky to use wide open since the depth of field is so
> > small.

This may be a point. I've tried this lens fully open only on the
aforementioned slides. I can see loads of possibilities of a very shallow
depth of field, though. Want infinite depth-of-field? Go digital with the
small focal lengths, want beautiful bokeh, go zuiko :)

>  Good grief! Is there something funny in the water this morning? People
> advising me _against_ a Zuiko purchase?
>
>  Heck, if I'm getting negative vibes _here_, then obviously it was not meant
> to be..

Well, don't pay any attention to the bad advices :) They're either jealous
or, more likely, want to keep the 55/1.2's all to themself :)

Seriously, though, I probably agree with the other comments you've gotten.
The 55/1.2 is probably one of the lenses that you need to "want" in order
to justify over the cheaper and lighter 50/1.4 and friends. All the points
raised are very valid, and I believe that you are just as well off with
the 50/1.4, really.

For me, I have not (yet) experienced any color-cast. The important
factor was to get a "normal focal length" lens with a 55mm thread, and the
55/1.2 was perfect for that purpose.

Also notice, that noone really said that it was a bad lens. It is very
sharp, has pleasent bokeh, is half a stop faster than the 50/1.4 (which is
noticeable - I have my brightest viewfinder with this lens) and handles
very well.

I, for one, am sure that the 55/1.2 will be one of my most used lenses, at
least for a while. (The 50/1.4 I got at the same time will find good
company alongside my beloved 85/2.0 in another 49mm kit...)

>  thanks! My finances love you all..

tsk tsk tsk....your finances is a dangerous mistress to your zuikos :)

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering

  E-Mail: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx