Re: [OM] Which Tele?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which Tele?
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 21:39:26 -0700
I think I got some good ones, another 10 or so still on the roll for the next round in a day or so. I can only get one relatively clear angle on the nest through trees and leaves. They are only across the street, but about 80' up a eucalyptus tree. Mom or Dad hawk came in with a terriffic catch, something big brown and furry and it took the two nestlings and parent about 2 hours to eat it all! I think I got some good feeding shots. Only the 1000mm lens was long enough. I tried one shot with a teleconverter, but even with 800iso film, that took it down to 1/60. The tree moves quite noticeably in the wind and the birds move, so that wasn't much use.With a solid, heavy tipod and shutter speeds of 1/125 & 1/250th., I'm hoping for some sharp results.

Redtails are quite common here. We have a pair nest almost every year and there is another regularly used nest up a couple of streets. We may be in the city, but we have resident deer, coons, skunks, possoms, way too many roof rats. The closest cougar siteing was about 6 blocks away and I've seen a coyote about the same distance away. The park isn't too far away, but this is all in fully developed hillside residential.

Moose

Gary Edwards wrote:

Good luck with the redtail nestlings!  The only ones that I have ever found
were in a restricted military reservation and I couldn't shoot them.  Hope
to see some pictures.