Re: [OM] Lens hoods for 50mm lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens hoods for 50mm lenses
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 14:29:15 -0500
At 11:32 5/27/02, Peter Prunskunas wrote:

> The 55/1.2 has its own unique hood.  Both the 50/1.4 and 55/1.2 had
> been discontinued when the 50/1.2 was introduced, but the 50/1.8
> and 35/2.8 were still in production.  My SWAG:  a new hood was
> created for the 50/1.2 as the 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 35/2.8 hood would not
> reverse over its barrel.

You and other posters have found the truth.  I never reverse my hoods
as I think the bending will eventually cause them to crack.  So, I never
thought of that reason.  That makes sense, as the 50mm f1.2 barrel is
definitely longer than the ubiquitous 50mm f1.8.

So, from a vignetting and/or fitting the clamp on the barrel point of view,
the hoods appear to be interchangeable, as I suspected.

Yes . . . they are interchangeble in clamp diameter . . . however "reversing" the hood does not bend it . . . it would likely crack the heavy rubber! Unlike some aftermarket hoods which are intended to be folded back, these are "reversed" by unclamping them, sliding them on backward and clamping them down again (remove lens cap while doing this). It's the reason there's no lip on the clamp; they can be slid over the lens front rings either direction.

-- John