Re: [OM] Lens hoods for 50mm lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens hoods for 50mm lenses
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 11:05:18 -0500
At 10:18 5/27/02, Winsor Crosby wrote:
At 09:51 5/27/02, Pete Prunskunas wrote:
Olympus offers two different lens hoods for 50mm lenses, the #108233 for the 50mm f1.2 and the #108230 for the 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 35mm f2.8, and 35-70mm f3.5-4.5. All of the above lenses employ 49mm filters. Why does Olympus sell two different hoods? A suitable hood for 35mm f2.8 would probably also be good for 50mm f1.2. A suitable hood for 50mm f1.2 is definitely good for "lesser" lenses like a 50mm f1.8. You see my point? If this were a mathematics list, we'd have a nice discussion of overlapping domains. I wonder if the separate hoods aren't a holdover from the days of when the prime 50mm lens used a 55mm filter, and when the lens changed to 49mm filter size, someone forgot to eliminate the redundant hood.

Pete

Since my 50mm 1.4 rubber lens hood clamps around the outside of the barrel the filter diameter does not matter.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

True . . . in practical use either hood will work on any of the 50mm standard lenses. IIRC, there's also a very early screw-on metal hood.

The 50mm hoods are clamp-on without a lip and can be reversed over their respective lenses for storage. The barrel of the 50/1.2 has a larger diameter, thus the 50/1.4[1.8] hood cannot be reversed over the 50/1.2 lens. Dark brown leather case noses were also made for various 50mm lenses, the most common of which is the "1,4" for a 50/1.4 but occasionally a "1,2" case nose is found for the 50/1.2 lens. Its snout is a slightly larger diameter and may be slightly longer (I have one). The lens plus reversed hood will fit into it.

Among the dark brown leather cases, the number stamped on the bottom part of the nose that wraps under the body indicates the lens: e.g., "1,4N", "1,2N", "1,4H". The "N" noses are semi-hard, have straight tapered sides and fit tighter. The "H" noses are hard, have curved flared sides and fit looser around the sides. The early light brown hard cases and black pebble-grain semi-hard cases I've seen for OM-1[n]/2[n] bodies don't have these markings but will fit at least a 50/1.4 with reversed hood (the ones I have don't fit the OM-2S/OM-3[ti]/OM-4[T] bodies with integral hot shoes). All these cases for the single-digit OM's are leather and quite durable. I've seen some dark brown leatherette single-digit OM cases constructed like their leather counterparts and they are just as non-durable as the ubiquitious black OM-10 cases.

The collectors will likely scurry around trying to find all the variants of cases and noses now. ;-)

-- John