RE: [OM] New Digital SLR

Subject: RE: [OM] New Digital SLR
From: William Clark <wclark@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 09:07:52 -0400
Sorry for not replying sooner.  I left early for the weekend ;-).  I have
had the opportunity to try the E20 many times.  It is an amazing
camera..best built of any I have seen (even like it better than niko*'s).
However, for the cost I feel it was just not worth me purchasing (but I
still think it is cool).  So what are my beefs?

1.  Write times.  Just try to use it when taking pics of kids soccer.
Horrifically small buffer (4 pics only, very bad).  Drove me crazy!!!!!
Olympus dropped the ball here for sure.
2.  No Spot-auto focus.
3.  No panoramic feature (really easy to program)
4.  1.8" viewscreen is only about 850f frame.
5.  Shutter has had some major problems.  Olympus originally had a stated
shelf life of 20,000, but after the problems seemed to have started EXACTLY
at 20,000 (see dpreview.com) they took this out of the info sheets.  Both
E10 and E20 have had this issue.
6.  Why use 9 to 36 on the lens barrel?  This is crazy.  Use standard 35mm
focal lengths.
7.  It uses degrees Kelvin for white balance, which is stupid.  How about
using icons like everyone else?
8.  All of these issues were present with the E10, so why did Olympus not
fix them?
9.  Why not put firmware updates available of the web?  Olympus has a bad
rep. of adding better firmware when you send a camera in for repair and not
giving it out to others who do not need a repair.  Nikon is MUCH better in
this respect.

I am not trying to put down the E20, as I said before I think it is a really
good camera and I love the feel.  However, these problems really irritated
me and thus I did not feel it was worth the $3000 Canadian for it.  I ended
up getting an Olympus 2100uz ($800) with 10x optical image stabilized lens.
While the lens optics are not as good as the e20, I cannot print 8x10s, and
is not built as well, I find it better in every other respect, and certainly
better value for the money.  I hope Olympus takes these complaints, which
have been extensive on dpreview and other forums, to heart for the new E
series camera.  I suspect the E20 was made for the studio and that is it.  I
am hoping for an E30..maybe I will get one.

Thanks,
-Bill