Re: [OM] Cure for Zuikoholism?

Subject: Re: [OM] Cure for Zuikoholism?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 14:05:18 -0700
on 5/21/02 1:28 PM, Bill Stanke at bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Jim:
>
> The Leica Historical Society of America (LHSA) publishes a quarterly
> magazine, The Viewfnder.  They published an article on "affordable"
> ($1K) sytems in Leica Thread Mount (LTM), M Series, and Leciaflex.
>
> A person could buy the excellent Cosina Voightlander lenses and use a
> simple LTM adapter for use on a "M" series.  The CV lens are "almost" as
> good as Leitz glass, especially if they are stopped down a stop or two
> from wide open.
>
> A Leica is expensive to buy, but the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) is
> actually pretty good, since they last forever, and have good re-sale
> value.  Even the M5, which typically sells for more than a good M6;
> collector interest, I guess.  I bought mine (M3) in 1974 for $325, with
> a collapsible 50 mm Summicron F/2, a Leica Meter MC, and an everready
> case.  I still have everything, except the meter, which was never very
> great anyway. (I use a OM-2S with a 135 as a spot meter!)  My only
> maintenance cost was a CLA sometime in the 1980s.
>
> Having said all that, I would spend the $20k on a MF rig, if I had the
> $20k to spend!
>
> Bill Stanke

I'm not totally Leica-less; my first 'real' camera, before my first OM-1
back in 1976 was a kit being sold by a guy who inherited from his uncle. I
got a Leica IIIg and three lenses for $500... which was a pretty good deal.
NO, ITS NOT FOR SALE! It all worked well then, but when I got the OM I put
it away for the most part. It needs a CLA now, when I have spare cash...
Some time ago I got a IIIf black dial, and also a Canon IVSB-4 with 50/1.8
lens. Those both need CLA's also... <sigh>.

My OM stuff is my primary picture taking kit now, but I'm seriously thinking
about the Voigtlander Bessa R2 and some of their lenses. I could use my
current 1950's era Leitz lenses on the body (with adapter) and also the new
Voigtlander lenses on the Leica bodies when they are CLA'd. The Voigtlander
lenses are reported to be very very good... better than the 50 year old
Leica designs I'm sure.

But somehow, when I spend my money, it seems I spend it on Olympus gear... I
can't figure that out. Doctor, can you help me...?
--

Jim Brokaw