Re: [OM] Slide viewer

Subject: Re: [OM] Slide viewer
From: Brian Gray <bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 21:46:14 +0100
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote
>I am looking for a good slide viewer. The one I used in the past had=20
>a magnifying glass that was about 3" in size. I loaded the slides on=20
>one side and then, by pushing a sliding lever, I could advance the=20
>slides one at a time. It was battery operated.
>
>This was about 20 years ago!!  I suspect that things have changed=20
>quite a bit since then. I did go to the B&H site but they have so=20
>many listed that I have no idea of where to start.
>
>I do want to be able to load 36 slides and then view them at a=20
>fairly significant magnification .. 4X6 would be fine.  I do have=20
>loupes and also a slide scanner. I just need something that will=20
>allow me to choose the slides I want to scan.

One type of device that you might look at is the type of slide projector that enables you to project on a normal screen or project on a ground glass screen about 7.5 inches square which forms part of the projector. It uses normal slide magazines. Mine is a 15 year old Prestinox diasystem (it has a fan) and I am not claiming the optics would satisfy you for projecting slides to critical friends etc. But, it is a very convenient way of going through slides. It is very much easier than using the small battery operated viewers. I first saw the devices in use at work in the days before laptops were used for portable presentations - you could check the slides on your desk and take the device with you and use a screen for a larger audience.
        I have no idea what models are currently available commercially.
Brian Gray