RE: [OM] OT - longterm photo storage

Subject: RE: [OM] OT - longterm photo storage
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 15:24:37 +1200
John Lind asked

> At 15:01 5/7/02, Brian Swale wrote:
> >Hi folk,
> >
> >I use a product I get from Australia. The company was named S&M Supply
> >Company Pty Ltd, but I think they have merged.
>
> This company sold photographic archival supplies ?????
>
> - -- John
 And my answer is "Absolutely Yes".

After I wrote post that I decided to see where the heck I had put their stuff
and found an undated envelope with samples and a small brochure. I was
still not convinced (I'm still not) that it was from my most recent exchange
with them, so went into my FAX files (my FAX lives in my computer) and
found that they sent me a big brochure 3 years ago (which I have mislaid for
the moment) but I remember it now; big and impressive.

They do all sorts of archival stuff - libraries, museums, and photographers.

The archival slide storage pages are from Franklins, which I remember now is
a  USA firm, and I think Franklins get it from Germany.

It's coming back - ain't memory a wonderful thing, and all based on
chemistry in the head <g>.

About 10 years ago I wrote to EVERY company mentioned on this topic in
George Schaub's book, and about half (about 20 ) replied,  Franklins had the
product that most closely matched  my needs and they referred me to their
agent in Australia. That changed due to takeover, and I tracked them down
when I wanted more product by tracing the ex-CEO from his name on my
invoice/receipt (retired by this time) in the Sydney phone book and calling
him at home. He gave me the address to contact.

It was all go from there. They have 3 - 4 business locations in Australia.

Brian  ($0.03 worth this time)