Re: [OM] Film scanner advice wanted-SCSI

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanner advice wanted-SCSI
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 08:51:51 -0500
At 07:08 AM 5/5/2002 -0400, you wrote:
The reason SCSI II is used is that it's
the cheapest solution that meets the perfomance requirement of the
scanner mechanism.  While SCSI can be troublesome if you try mixing and
matching multiple SCSI devices, the SCSI II card and driver that comes
with the Scanwit is matched to the device.  If it's the only SCSI device
on your system it should be trouble free.

Though people seem to have had problems through the years with the SCSI II card + scanners -- I seem to recall the Scanwit and Minolta scanners as the trickier ones -- I have had excellent experience with these adapters for just about anything. I think they are meant to be sort of dedicated to the device you are mainly buying it with, but I've hooked other devices like CD burners and Zip drives into the mix without a hitch. If the newer interfaces are better, I just hope they are a lot better.

Joel W.