Re: [OM] Samyang/Phoenix

Subject: Re: [OM] Samyang/Phoenix
From: RK <rk1@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 10:28:59 -0800
> One is mostly plastic on the outside, light weight and marked 19-35mm.
> (I have one labeled Vivitar and Walt has one labeled Phoenix.)
> The other is mostly metal on the outside, heavy and marked 18-28mm. (I
> have seen it for sale many places, always labeled Samyang.)
>
> User comments I recall on the metal one give decidedly mixed reviews for
> image quality and always mention wonderful solidity.
> User comments on the plastic one say something like "Takes good (or
> great) pictures, I can't believe this light plastic thing will last, but
> it was so cheap and works, so who cares?", but nobody mentions one breaking.
>
> Moose

I have one that's labelled Vivitar 18~28.
This one's a K-Mount (for my Pentax AF cameras), all metal and very well built.
Incredibly cheap; 'bout the cost of two 72 dia C-Pl filters!
With the low magnification of the AF Pentax viewfinder, I was never able to
satisfactorily focus this lens- as an aside, I don't think it's really an f4.0
at the 18mm end: the image was just too damn dim!
Results, when focussed, were excellent- very little flare as well for such a
wide lens.

Maybe the focussing problem will be sorted out in the OM's- if so, it's a great
buy!
RK