Re: [OM] Samyang/Phoenix

Subject: Re: [OM] Samyang/Phoenix
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 13:37:44 -0700
I believe the Phoenix and the Vivitar Series 1 are the same lens. the Samyang is physically quite different. I read somewhere that the Samyang was closer to 19 than 18mm on the wide end. I have the Vivitar, but haven't used it much. I took it on the trip I just took to Yosemite, as I didn't expect many really WA shots and didn't feel like carrying 3 ultra wide primes. Speed wasn't that big a for me, as my 18 & 21mms are f3.5 anyway and I had the 28/2 along. I did take the same shot with both the Viv. and the 28/2 once. I don't get the pics back 'til Mon. or Tues. With 5 rolls to look at and play with, it may be a while until I come to any conclusions about the Vivitar, if any; I doubt I took more than a dozen shots with it (as expected) and a few were risky.

I do hope it turns out to be really good. I like carrying fewer lenses, making fewer lens changes and using zooms for framing. Assuming it wears well for a gentle on equipment amateur, the plastic part is a plus 'cause it adds very little weight to the bag. A down side could be the 77mm filter size, but it is the same size as my Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 and 77mm filters can be used with a step up ring on the 18/3.5 (probably a 'good thing' to avoid vignetting with a C-Pol). The cheap plastic lens hood doesn't look like it will last long.

Further bulletins as information warrants.

Moose

Larry wrote:

The 19-35mm Phoenix looks cheap & plasticky, and is made by Cosina. The
18-28mm is all metal, not cheap looking, and will easily hold up as much
as a zuiko. It's made by Samyang, and is also very sharp.

Brian asked:

I notice that Robert Monaghan speaks fairly highly of
Samyang / Phoenix wide angle zooms.

Who in this group can comment to me on their experience with
them?