[OM] best monitor for photo work

Subject: [OM] best monitor for photo work
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 06:08:17 -0700
Several months ago I was forced to replace a horribly expensive 20" Sony that I
hadn't amortized. (The horizontal sweep blew out, and the estimate was about
the cost of a new monitor.) Although I've seen other good monitors (I
especially liked MAG/Innovision), I remained a staunch Sony guy.

A good friend urged me to look at ViewSonic, which he thought highly of. I
bought an A95f, which uses a perfectly flat 19" Trinitron CRT made by
Mitsubishi.

Wow.

It's better than any Sony I've owned. The linearity is better, and it doesn't
suffer from the slight misconvergeance I've seen on every Sony, whether TV or
computer monitor.

It also has an extremely wide range of setup adjustments. One of them is for
moiré, which appears to be a micro adjustment of scan rotation. I adjusted it
using the "grayed" effect that appears when you select Shut Down from the Start
menu. Getting it "right" produced a subtle improvement in overall sharpness
(because the scan pixels were now properly aligned with the phosphor stripes).

As to its color rendition, I can't comment, because I don't do color printing.
But it's pleasing, at least.