Re: [OM] Best monitor for photo work

Subject: Re: [OM] Best monitor for photo work
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 14:01:21 -0600
At 01:39 PM 02/05/2002 -0400, Bob Whitmire wrote:
>Interested in folks thoughts about the best current-model monitor for photo
>work. I've got an old shadow mask Phillips that's great for text, but
>crosses my eyes when messing with photos. Looking for something in the
>19-inch range.

NEC's always been a class act when it comes to monitors.  Another company I
like for monitors is Viewsonic (they purchased Nokia's monitor division a
couple of years ago -- I own a Nokia Multigraph 445XPro 21-inch monitor, and
couldn't be happier with it; I just wish it was even *larger*!).

One thing I'd stress, though: ALWAYS "test drive" your potential monitor in the
store before buying.  One of our local computer retail outlets has a "wall o'
monitors" hooked up to a common signal, with size, price and some basic specs
displayed prominently on a sign beside each monitor.  Allows for easy
compare-'n-constrast in terms of "look," features and price.  Make sure that
the monitor can be driven at (at least) 75 Hz refresh rate -- lower than that,
and your eyes go buggy if you stare at the monitor for more than an hour or so
(many people also report headaches with low-refresh-rate monitors).  I usually
set mine at 85 Hz, 1280 by 1024 aspect ratio, 32 bits per pixel colour depth.
Of course, you also have to have an appropriate video card to drive it at those
rates.  But nowadays, even el cheapo video cards do a pretty good job of
allowing high refresh rates.

Good luck.

Garth