Re: [OM] 28mm f2.0 versus 28mm f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] 28mm f2.0 versus 28mm f2.8
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:46:45 -0600
At 03:20 PM 30/04/2002 -0600, Pete Prunskunas wrote:
The lens tests at
<http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>http://members.aol. com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm
suggest that the difference between the 28mm f2.0 and 28mm
f2.8 are as follows: the f2.0 is sharper but has noticeable barrel
distortion, while the f2.8 is the opposite (but is much cheaper).

I think Gary's tests were a bit unusual in the results for the 28/2.0 Zuiko -- other testers I've seen reports from state that this lens has no noticeable distortion at all. I chalk the difference up to sample variation. My own 28/2.0 seems to be virtually free of barrel distortion.

Otherwise, it's got remarkable performance, particularly at around the F/4.0 "sweet spot." I wouldn't write it off. Some of the photos I've taken with it (even so-called "snapshot-quality" photos) blew some of my friends' socks off, due to the combination of sharpness and contrast the photos evinced.

Garth