Re: [OM] Developing B+W -- how many shots actually see enlargement?

Subject: Re: [OM] Developing B+W -- how many shots actually see enlargement?
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:44:31 -0400
On Saturday, April 27, 2002 at 11:59, T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] Developing B+W -- how many" saying:

> On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:
> >  But taking the time to print up 36 4x5 prints is a pretty imposing
> > proposition -- what do people out there who have darkrooms do in this sort
> > of situation? Do you just do contact sheets then enlarge the "good" ones to
> > 8x10? All of them to 4x5 and pick through them there? Something in the
> > middle?  Do you just get an 'eye' for the ones that're worth enlarging,
> > because at the moment I can certainly tell the duds at 1:1 size, but there's
> > a lot of others that might be worth blowing up, but there's still a lot of
> > them to make up intermediate sizes of before I go the whole way.
> >

> I guess you'll get the combined answer of "yes" here. There are probably
> as many ways of working in a darkroom as there are people.....
>
> I usually do contact sheets on the same day (well...night) as I do the
> films. Then, equipped with a thick pen (I find that red or green works
> best) and a magnifying glass, I look at all the negatives and mark those
> to print and those not to print, along with some information (mostly
> contrast).

You may want several strengths of magnifying. A 4x to 8x loupe is good for
full frame. To check sharpness, use a 20x or 30x.

When I worked for Yousuf Karsh, I put my films in the 8x10 enlarger and
enlarged the whole roll to 16x20....

tOM
--------------- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympus-Documentation
tOM Trottier,   ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115 N45.412 W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980