Re: [OM] Developing B+W -- how many shots actually see enlargement?

Subject: Re: [OM] Developing B+W -- how many shots actually see enlargement?
From: Ian Nichols <i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 10:02:53 +0100
In article <21EEE10D6F3ED511B5E10002A5511565021BA746@CALMAIL1>,
   Daniel J. Mitchell <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> what do people out there who have darkrooms do in this
> sort of situation? Do you just do contact sheets then enlarge the "good"
> ones to 8x10? All of them to 4x5 and pick through them there? Something
> in the middle?  Do you just get an 'eye' for the ones that're worth
> enlarging, because at the moment I can certainly tell the duds at 1:1
> size, but there's a lot of others that might be worth blowing up, but
> there's still a lot of them to make up intermediate sizes of before I go
> the whole way.

I always do a contact sheet because it helps judge printing exposure &
contrast grade, besides being the right way around.  I usually have a look
at the negative through a loupe as well, to get some idea of sharpness.

I'll usually print the good looking ones at 8x10 to start with, and assess
that print before going any larger.

If I think I'm going to want to scan the negs, I'll often do that first.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |              http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/         |
|  \-/| |  /  |                 i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           |
|             *                   i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx               |