[OM] Re: the angle of light theory

Subject: [OM] Re: the angle of light theory
From: Rick <R.Adshead@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:47:03 -0400
Steve wrote:

My brother does product shots for a company (I think they're in New Jersey
somewhere around Princeton) that makes extremely high-end CCD digital
cameras for the medical and scientific fields.  We're talking $30,000+
stuff here.  He asked them about the Olympus angle-of-light claim and their
response was that Olympus is completely correct - the angle of the light
hitting the sensors is a critical design issue in "digital" lenses for
optimal results......
------------------------------

Yes, the angle of light from the lens that hits the pixel well is important
but that does not preclude the use of conventional "film" lenses. I worked
for years for one of these high end digital camera back manufacturers who's
camera backs are designed to fit on conventonal cameras, like Hassy, Mamiya,
Fuji, Sinar, etc. Those lenses work fine, although there is a limit to how
wide an angle can be used. In fact, the Sinarcam-1 had a lens board option
for our beloved 35-80/2.8 zuiko!! I saw several of them in use. I put my
21mm/3.5 zuiko on one of them for a quick test and it did just fine
(subjective evaluation only). But keep in  mind, the CCD area of these backs
with the Phillips chip is the same as that of 35mm film. The current slr
digitals have a much smaller image area.

A much more important design feature for lenses on digital is correction for
chromatic aberration, especially in the multi-shot cameras where
mis-registration can be brutally honest about how well corrected your
expensive lens is.

I'm not proposing that we hold out for a digital zuiko solution, but I just
don't buy the Olympus "explanation".

Regards,
Rick