[OM] Re: The angle of light theory

Subject: [OM] Re: The angle of light theory
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:52:46 -0400
>From: Larry <Halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Sad news.. I found out today
>
>That would cause a problem with their "its impossible to use the Zuikos
>because of the angle of light and stuff" story. Also the cooincidental
>less important reason that everyone must now buy new lenses from them so
>they can make more money - would be in jeopardy if they allowed us to use
>the zuikos.

My brother does product shots for a company (I think they're in New Jersey
somewhere around Princeton) that makes extremely high-end CCD digital
cameras for the medical and scientific fields.  We're talking $30,000+
stuff here.  He asked them about the Olympus angle-of-light claim and their
response was that Olympus is completely correct - the angle of the light
hitting the sensors is a critical design issue in "digital" lenses for
optimal results.

Based on this company's informed opinion, Olympus is one of the few
companies that know what they are talking about.

With the new Foveon full-color image sensor chip, where the three color
sensors are stacked on top of each other, the angle-of-light issue might be
even more critical than on CCDs in current use with sensors that register
only one color (R, G, or B).

Steve Troy