Re: [OM] Tamron 80-200 f/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 80-200 f/2.8
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:56:06 +0200
It is very easy to switch mounts; you just need a Tamron Adaptall-2 OLympus
adapter, the one that says 'OL' on the mount instead of 'for Olympus OM'
('OL' version is essential for OM-3/4, unless you modify the older version
with epoxy).
They sell reasonably often on *Bay, can be expensive though.

The 85-210 Tamron is notorious for lack of sharpness; look instead for the
70-210/3.5 SP (see results in Gary's tests); the 70-210/3.5 SP (model 19AH)
was in Tamon's model lineup from 1983 up to 2000/2001, so some are newer
than others. I expect that you can still find it new in USA. This model is
only a little slower than the 80-200 (1/2 stop).

Roger Key

Is this available used?  If I find one in a Nikon mount, is the correct
mount for an OM-4 available?  I have a Zuiko 100/2.8, 135/3.5, and 200/4
but
the idea of having a sharper (albeit much larger) alternative available
when
I can carry it, is attractive.

For the available darkness stuff I like best, this may be a good way to go.

I'm also considering the Zuiko 180/2.8 and Tamron 180/2.5 but frankly, the
ability to crop with a two-touch zoom in this range is something useful
that
I miss.

I got rid of the 85-210 f/4.5 (Tamron, circa 1974 also) because of a
perceived lack of sharpness.

It's completely wierd that the 100/2.8 did so poorly on Gary's testing.
It's the sharpest lens I've owned.  By his reconing, it's not as sharp as
the 50/3.5 or 135/3.5 or 200/4.  That's completely the opposite of my
experience.  I am a firm believer in the scientific method.  "It baffles
me," he bellowed.  (photo puns)

Lama