Re: [OM] F280 ModPhoto

Subject: Re: [OM] F280 ModPhoto
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 02:52:32 -0400
On Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 22:14, Winsor Crosby
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "[OM] F280 ModPhoto" saying:

> "...Although illumination provided by the F280 flash is constant in
> FP mode, the amount of fill can be controlled relative to ambient
> light by selecting higher or lower shutter speeds.  This is
> accomplished by changing the lens aperture in automatic mode.  If you
> set a lower shutter speed, the amount of fill-in flash will be
> greater.  Moving above 1/250 sec. will darken the shadows(as well as
> freezing the action and minimizing depth of field).  Although
> background exposure will remain correct, there is no automatic way to
> determine what would be the proper fill-to-ambient-light ratio for
> each subject. Often this is a matter of taste or personal preference.
> Although  there are no hard and fast rules for obtaining optimal
> balance, with a little experimenting you should quickly get a feel
> for it."

Has anyone tried this? From the slit article and other posts, I suspect
this is wrong and that the only way to control the fill ratio is the
distance of the flash to the subject. Shinking the aperture affects both
flash and ambient light.

tOM
--------------- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympus-Documentation
tOM Trottier,   ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115 N45.412 W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980