RE: [OM] 135 at eB*y

Subject: RE: [OM] 135 at eB*y
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:34:35 -0800
It's a copyright infringement at the least. While I haven't had the problem
(as far as I am aware) on Ebay, I've had at least two different BBS posters
use images on my site as direct image references, rather than links to my
site. It usually shows up in my logs as a sudden, unexplained high hit rate
referred from some site I have nothing to do with. On investigation, in both
cases, I found direct use (via IMG tag) to my site's photos.

My response? These two steps, in the order listed:

1. Immediately edit the photo included from my site to say, in large,
high-contrast letters: "This photo and server cycles stolen by <poster's
handle>"

2. Notify the site's administrator.

Works really well :-) Unfortunately, I've no suggestions beyond what was
previously listed for situations where the person has simply copied the
image and re-used it.

---
Scott Gomez