Re: [OM] Gossen Lunasix 3. Light metre?

Subject: Re: [OM] Gossen Lunasix 3. Light metre?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 01:20:49 -0700
on 4/20/02 1:27 PM, Lars Haven at lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> In my opinion the Lunasix 3 is a very good meter. Easy to use and very
> sensitive. Reliable too. Mine has been running 20+ years without a hitch.
> Only problem is that the older ones needs mercury cells. At some point Gossen
> changed it to use silver oxide cells, so I assume a modification of the older
> units is possible. Otherwise silveroxide cell converters are availalbe.
>
> US$ 100 may be in the upper price range, but I'd still go for it. I paid
> twice that for mine when I bought it new in 1980.
>
> Best wishes,
> Lars

Gossen offers a battery conversion kit for the LunaPro, which looked like a
little plastic sleeve that fits into the battery compartment and allows use
of two silver-oxide cells (#357...) instead of two PX-13 or PX-625 (my hoard
is saved for OM-1's!). The conversion wasn't much to look at for the cost
~$22, but it seems to work. I don't know if there is a hidden diode doing
its stuff in the plastic sleeve or not, but maybe they have a similar kit
for the Lunasix (it might use the same battery compartment). I even remember
that the LunaPro and Lunasix are the same, but the Lunasix was 'outside US'
name for the meter... I don't know if that is true or not, though.
--

Jim Brokaw