Re: [OM] New Cosina 40/2 for OM!

Subject: Re: [OM] New Cosina 40/2 for OM!
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 21:56:33 -0700
I don't think the Zuiko 40/2 is a retrofocus design. Looking at the eSIF, it's optical design is very similar to the 50/1.8. I just looked at a 50/1.8 and the deepest part is 10mm behind the mounting flange. The mount to film distance for OMs is 46mm, giving a 36mm distance from lens to film. Looking at the drawings on the eSIF, it looks like the film to rear element distance for the 40/2 is about 38mm. I don't know where the nodes typically are in these 6-elements designs, but I'll bet the rear node on this one is about 2mm in front of the back of the rear element. Nodes within the glass means not retrofocus, non?

It seems likely to me that the reason Nikon and Oly and ?? made their most compact lenses 40mm was because that was the shortest focal length where a non-retrofocus design could be used with thier SLRs. If 38mm worked, we'd probably have a 38/2 pancake lens, 'cause it would be a thinner pancake.

I suspect the same is true for the Cosina. It's simpler to get good results with conventional design and they had proven designs already produced by others to use as a basis for starting their own designs.The M mount lens would be longer because the mount to film distance is about 8mm shorter than the Oly's. Leica could, of course use a non-retrofocus design with the rear nodal point designed further forward to reduce the length of their RF only lens.

Moose

Looking at the lenses on the site is interesting. I was wondering how they could say that the same lens is available for the Voigtländer rangefinder and in mounts for various SLRs. My first question was whether the lens for SLRs had automatic aperture which I was not really able to find. Second question that occurred to me is that lenses for SLRs and rangefinders are usually designed differently, especially in shorter focal lengths. Lens elements can recess into a rangefinder body, but can't recess into an SLR because of the mirror. Advantages in sharpness, contrast and correction are usually cited by rangefinder makers because their lenses do not have be made into a retrofocus design which requires extra elements and lens maker gymnastics to achieve. Looking at the picture of the 35 mm lens for the rangefinder it seems amazingly long - nothing at all like the comparatively flat Leica 35mm. I wonder whether Cosina when planning their lens line decided to design them all as retrofocus regardless of their application so that a longer lens barrel could just be substituted on the rangefinder. Have they really designed SLR lenses, ignoring the advantages of non-retrofocus design, and just adapted them to a rangefinder rather than the other way around?