Re: [OM] Foam replacement kits and camera shop experiences

Subject: Re: [OM] Foam replacement kits and camera shop experiences
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:13:09 +0200
Hi Mats

I do not know how good the Swedish Customs (Tull) are at catching parcels
from the USA, but I expect that you will find that an MR-9 battery adapter
is cheaper from England than from USA (nul tull!); try www.rolleicamera.com
(in England).
But if you are buying foam kits from John at Camtech, you could always buy
the MR-9 from John as well. Service people in Denmark do not seem to know
(or care) about foam kits either.

Time I bought some kits, too!

Roger Key, CPH

Hi All!

I would like to hear if anyone has succeeded replacing the gooey foam, as
described and sold by Camtech. Is it still available by the way?
I checked with the only authorized Olympus shop here in Sweden and they had
never heard of any readymade kits for the foam, nor of the battery adapter
for om-1.

For the foam, they suggested taking it from a discarded body (which seems
indicate they did not know what I meant), and claimed that the only way to
deal with the battery problem was to rebuild the camera with Olympus'
special kit.

They also seemed very reluctant to handle 'such old cameras' at all and
stated that they did not guarantee any repairs on om-1 and om-2 bodies
(sic).

How is it in other parts of the world? From what I have gathered from this
list and some websites (american) are om-1 and om-2 repairs, overhauls and
rebuilds common practice with no reservations.

Regards, Mats.E
Mats Elfstrom, GIS-engineer                   mats.elfstrom@xxxxxxxx
Sycon Teknikkonsult AB                                  ICQ# 9517386
205 09 MALMO           tel +46 (0)40 256016   cell +46 (0)705 276027