Re: [OM] Rangefinders vs. SLR's

Subject: Re: [OM] Rangefinders vs. SLR's
From: w shumaker <rlist@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:24:45 -0400
I just purchased an Xpan myself (excellent condition xpan + 45mm can be
had for <$1500). It has a focal plane shutter and feels like a larger
manual focus G2. I got rid of the G2 I had because of the constant
in-out motion of the lens when you depress the shutter and the center
only focus point. I found I would grab the OM-4t over the G2 nearly
every time.

One user report said the Mamiya 7 needs frequent focus calibration??
Remember also that medium format needs to be stopped down more to get
equivalent depth of field. The Xpan view finder is quite bright, but I
would have preferred a bigger focus region. So far (1 roll of film) I
like it. It's interesting switching back to the OM - I noticed how much
I use the whole screen for focus adjust. Seamlessly switching between
24x65mm and 24x36mm is a nice feature. The Mamiya can also do 24x65mm
with film insert.

I got the Xpan because I do a lot of panoramic shots and I have not
been satisfied with the process of stitching. See for example:
http://www.zuik.net/Stitched_80mm_r.jpg Notice how the horizon bows.
Perhaps better software would help. This came from a hand held shots
taken with the 35-80/2.8 lens and stitched with a version of photovista
that comes on a Sony Vaio. See also www.panoguide.com for some of the
issues involved with stitching shots from a rectilinear lens. I will be
headed to St John next week and the thought of stitching panoramas of
waves on beaches did not appeal to me.

The Xpan is a bit hefty and the shutter is smooth, allowing for
hand-holding to lower speeds, but I would not get an Xpan for that
reason. I plan on using the tripod most of the time in order to get the
maximum resolution. My local lab now has a 8000ppi scanner (Topaz ii)
and a 44" wide epson printer. I like big prints. However, I chose the
xpan because I can still scan with my 35mm film scanner and stitch the
two halves together (since no lens correction, etc. is needed). I guess
the next step is a 6x17 plus medium format scanner. (Any body know how
the focus works on a Technorama 617?)

Hand holding rules depend on the resolution one is trying to achieve. A
hand held shot maybe be fine for 4x6 prints, but not a crisp 13x19. I
have also found that physical exertion, such as strenuous hiking,
increases the shakes. So I know my hand holding ability varies all over
the map. I have too many great shots that I cannot blow up because I
was too lazy or time limited to set up the tripod. Luck vs. consistency.

Wayne