[OM] Rangefinders vs. SLR's

Subject: [OM] Rangefinders vs. SLR's
From: "Olympus List" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 14:51:27 -0700
I had a question; I know due to the lack of a mirror flip-up and causing kind of a micro jerk on your part, and because it's a focal plane blade shutter, it's easier to hold a rangefinder steady. The OM's are compact but have "heft" and so it's not too bad to hold steady. My question is, do you think I can hold a camera for at least 1 fstop or more because it's a rangefinder vs. an SLR?? I can hold 1/30th on my 50mm very well, (probably comes from all those years of shootin' a gun, steady hands) but I'm wondering if I can dip down to say, 1/15th if it were a rangefinder instead of a SLR. I have held 1/15th on my 28mm with no problem, the 1/8th speed was a bit much and came out soft.. I was looking to buy an Xpan, but now that I have had time to rethink it, it seems a bit of a hype and gimmick, for a lot of $$$.. I was thinking, hey, if I were to buy an xpan, why not just buy a Mamiya 7??? But since it's fastest shutter speed is 1/500th, and the lenses (medium format) start generally around f/4, I thought there would be situations (with something like ISO100 film) that would really drop that shutter speed way down. I can generally on my OM, hold my camera steady for 1 stop below the 1/focal length rule, but that's about it. Let me know what you guys think of the Mamiya 7, and rangefinders vs. SLR's in general with respect to how slow of a shutter speed can be handled on each. My gf can't hold 1/125th steady... so.... Albert