RE: [OM] B+W Film recommendation?

Subject: RE: [OM] B+W Film recommendation?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 21:45:01 -0500
At 10:06 4/8/02, Bob Gries wrote:
Mickey:

Well, I think that 100 may still be a bit slow depending on
light-subject distance.  When shooting B+W, I love Plus-X and Tri-X.  I
have all of my own little tricks to bring out the best in those films
(for my eye, at least) but if someone else is doing it, I would just
under-rate each of them by 1/3 stop (100 and 320 respectively).

There are just as many opinions as there are films (probably more!), but
these two films work well for me.  I like the grain structure and tonal
ranges.  Both are very classic and will hold a lot of detail.

Best luck, and let us know how they turn out!

Bob

For traditional B/W I agree with Bob:
Plus-X and Tri-X depending on what you want for film speed (Verichrome Pan for 120 medium format and Ektapan for large format, in lieu of Plus-X). Plus-X will obviously have finer grain which might be needed for the group shot, depending on how big the group is (how small their faces would be). All have a timeless "classic" B/W look to them.

If you're *really* concerned about slowing things down for wider apertures, there's always ISO 25 Technical Pan (processed for continuous tone)!

I'm not inclined to recommend any filters though. If anything, I'd be tempted to use a B+W #470 (a blue-green "minus red" using Schott BG18 glass). It renders a very old orthochromatic look. More seriously, be cautious about using any filtering beyond a pale yellow. Depending on the colors encountered, more radical ones can render some colors a less natural looking gray.

-- John