Re: [OM] Adventures in Macrophotography (asking for recommendations)

Subject: Re: [OM] Adventures in Macrophotography (asking for recommendations)
From: "Tim Chakravorty" <suchismit@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 00:38:23 -0700
> The use of on-camera flash for "nature" macros is obvious in the
> photograph.
Which photograph are you talking about ?

Direct lighting is always a problem with on camera flash. The thing that I
particularly dislike is
a burnt out highlight especially in glossy subjects. I have tried off camera
with my T-18 (which
I unfortunately lost in my Utah trip last week :-((  Heck , why was I even
carrying that?) but not
with much success.  John Shaw in his classic 'Closeups in Nature' suggests
'plasic bowl lighting', where
a plastic bowl acts as a diffuser. I haven't tried that yet, but it appears it
will soften the effect of a flash to
 some degree.
-Tim