Re: [OM] Adventures in Macrophotography (asking for recommendations)

Subject: Re: [OM] Adventures in Macrophotography (asking for recommendations)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 22:36:21 -0500
At 18:21 4/7/02, Mark Lloyd wrote:
Today I decided to bit the bullet and took in the tripod to take pics. And the change is dramatic. Instead of 1:4 almost all of my high magnification pictures came out tack sharp many sharper than even the sharpest of my previous efforts.
[snip]

Yes, it makes a very big difference at the magnification levels you are working with. Sorry I cannot help you with tripod advice; I'm still using a Bogen 3221 for them (and yes it can be difficult)! A gear head may be part of the answer, although not all of it. I have a pair of sliding plates mounted at 90 degrees to each other. On the bottom of them is a QR plate for the tripod head so I can mount and dismount it. I've found mounting the camera to them very useful for making slight left/right and fore/aft adjustments instead of moving the entire tripod.

It's amazing how tiny the DOF is, I have pics taken at full extension with the 90mm macro at f8 of an Easter lily petal where there is nothing but a thin band of sharpness.

Indeed! I must remind myself to stop down as much as possible if there's any depth to the subject. I make several exposures with several apertures, not to bracket exposure (shutter speed is also changed), but to bracket the DOF which can be very difficult to evaluate through the viewfinder.

-- John