[OM] Camera & lens falling.

Subject: [OM] Camera & lens falling.
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 09:54:12 +1200
Hi folks,

My condolences to Damon at the loss of his OM and probable damage to his
300.

I guess there's a lesson for all of us in this. That combination weighs about
1.25 kg or about 2.5 LB. And it was too much for the strap fastening.

Continuous direct hand-holding of heavy combinations would seem advisable.

One of the aspects of the OM4Ti I bought that I like is that the neck strap
with it is strong woven fabric ( Olympus/Japan ) with strong metal buckles. I
really don't like the moulded plastic pseudo-leather straps on the rest of my
cameras - and the worst of them get very stiff over time.

Another thing to watch for is the spring-loaded retention button for the
detents on lenses. My 100 f/2 had one which progressively became weaker
and the next thing I knew was the lens fell off the camera. Fortunately just a
short fall, sideways onto slightly cushioned earth. These spring-loaded
detents or whatever they are called, can actually wear out / break, then the
lens comes free during focussing and you may not even notice.

At the first sign of failure of one, get it renewed before the lens falls free.

Brian