[OM] E10 and Smartmedia cards

Subject: [OM] E10 and Smartmedia cards
From: "Robin's Nest Photography" <robinsnes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 11:55:02 -0500
I was photographing a job this weekend and using the E10 as a portrait
camera for the guests. Two (2 of the suckers) after putting about 30 guests
on each decided to indicate "card error" when entered into the camera. The
card reader (that's another story) indicated that there were no images on
the card (wrong, I check them periodically during each shoot just in case).
Usually removing the card and then reinserting it will work. It didn't. In
fact, it was impossible to format the card in the camera, had to do it in
the computer at home.
Images are shown on a TV set hooked up to either the camera or an
AVerFotoplay unit attached to the TV. Just in case it was the Aver, I used
the camera the rest of the evening to display "proofs." Did many tests runs
back at the studio, no problems with the TV hookup here.
Another friend has an E20 and asked if I had had this
problem...prophetically the morning of this party.
Is is the camera, an inherent problem in smartmedia, or ?
Does anyone else have this problem or know of any solution - question posed
for technical advice from John Hermann. I would like to hear from other OM
users about their experiences with this phenomenon.
Thanks and yours in faith with Olympus.
Roger
P.S. I will continue, of course, to use film on events and all important
jobs. I now think anyone who depends solely on digital is foolish and using
a medium that is inherently a little prone to too many problems...let's not
get into the down side of film. BTW, on the job I shoot Blads and 400VC
rated at 250. This combo works very well in the OM, but I think (personal
attitude) 35mm is too small negative wise to give me the 30x40's I often
sell without a lot of expense and time converting it to digital for
enhancement and retouching. Anything over 8x10 is questionable...look at the
images side by side and it will be easy to pick out the 6x6 over the 35.
Digital is great and the Olympus product is, IMHO, the best.

 Roger Skully
Robin?s Nest Photography
www.robinsnestphotography.com