Re: [OM] Re: Sunsets and long-focus lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Sunsets and long-focus lenses
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 21:58:05 -0500
At 17:18 3/31/02, Walt Wayman wrote:
But the "pan" part means it was panchromatic, as opposed to orthochromatic, which I doubt many of the younger folks here even know there ever was any such a thing as.

Walt Wayman

Orthochromatic is why I ordered a B+W 470 filter late last week:
  http://www.schneideroptics.com/filters/filters_for_still_photography/special/

Oddly, it's not listed under their Black/White filters, but under their "special" ones. It uses Schott BG 18 glass and is classed as a "blue-green" or "cyan." Its curve is very close to a "minus red" filer:
  http://www.besoptics.com/html/schott_bg18_filter_glass.html

The B+W 470 is about as close as one can get to the color response of the orthochromatics when using the panchromatics with a practical screw-on filter for field use.

None of the above information should be construed as providing *any* indication about my age. Rumors that I'm the person who suggested to Theodore Roosevelt that he head up the hill instead of down it are merely Urban Legend!

-- John