Re: [OM] More input from Chuck

Subject: Re: [OM] More input from Chuck
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 18:16:45 -0500
At 21:54 3/29/02, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
I think my best advice to you is to quit fretting about your equipment
and go take some pictures.  I've been taking pictures for about 40
years.  I never had anything other than a standard 50mm lens for the
first 15 years.  It didn't keep me from taking pictures of sunsets,
children, flowers or anything else.  Your 35-70 Soligor CD is a good
quality lens which reaches from moderate wide-angle to moderate
telephoto.  It's a fine, all purpose range and could conceivably be all
you'll ever need... but you have to go use it to find out.

As did I (50mm only on the SLR and a fixed 40mm on an RF), and probably many others for quite a number of years. Most important is learning how to "visualize" a photograph before you make it. Others call this learning how to "see." The "science" that concerns itself with technical aspects of critical focus and exposure, while very important, is worthless without the "art" of creating a composition, and most important within the "art" is understanding light, its effects and how to use it or exploit it with the subject material.

[snip]
ps:  I have about a dozen lenses.  I have a 2000mm telescope and a 500mm
spotting scope but not a 300mm lens.  Apart from the telescopes my
longest lens is a 250mm.  I've only ever used the 250 once and have
never felt the need for a 300mm.  Go out and take some picture!!!

I also have many lenses now and don't use my 300mm that often. However, it's more because of the type of photography I do. There are others who use lenses longer than 200mm routinely. Its value will be determined by what you do, and how much you do with it. Even though there are many lenses for the 35mm SLR system, and a few for the MF SLR system, there are two other cameras with only a single standard length lens. I don't feel uncomfortable or horribly constrained using them. The constraints obviously affect how I visualize photographs and what I can do with them, but have yet to prevent me from making photographs of the desired subject material.

-- John