RE: [OM] Tripods/heads

Subject: RE: [OM] Tripods/heads
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 11:58:28 -0700
My Bogen/Manfrotto catalog has the Bogen part numbers only so I don't know
which models you list correspond. The 190 is the Bogen 3055 which is a good
strong head at a reasonable weight. I prefer the locking levers that rotate
(like the 3038 or 3262) rather than those like the 3055 that rotate about
the tripod column axis. Levers that twist around the column axis put torque
where you don't want it especially if you tend to tighten things too much. I
like the grip action head for light lens use because it is very quick and
easy to use. If you need a good stable platform, my choice for backpacking
would be the 3205G tripod with the 3265 (grip action) or the 3262QR Medium
Ball Head which is a little lighter. These combinations weigh over 6 pounds
which will feel much heavier if you carry it very far. If you don't need
that kind of platform, a cheap ultralight tripod or a light monopod might be
a better choice for extended carrying. /jim