Re: [OM] Putting pictures on the Web

Subject: Re: [OM] Putting pictures on the Web
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 22:49:45 -0800
dreammoose wrote:

Many of you have Web sites with your pictures on them. I have a web site I've never used. I started using the on-line web design tools and it's clear it will be a long, tedious process if I go that route. I assume there must be templates out there for this kind of web site where one can just drop in the pictures and have thumbnails generated on the main page with links to the pictures. Any recommendations?

I use a program called ThumbsPlus for web page generation. I got it for cataloging, sorting, and making contact sheets, before I had a photo web page, but it does an excellent job of making web galleries, too.

See e.g. http://www.phred.org/~josh/photo/ir.html
The program takes my catalog annotations, generates thumbnail images, and lays out a thumbnail table automatically. There are quite a few options on resolution of thumbnails, design of the page, which information about the photos is included, whether to generate a full web page or just a thumbnail table to include in some other web page, etc.

Unfortunately it's gotten quite a bit more expensive than when I first got it, and I'm not sure I'd recommend buying the current version at full price if you're just looking for a web page program.

--
          josh@xxxxxxxxx is Joshua Putnam
            http://www.phred.org/~josh/