Re: [OM] (OT) And we complain about OM prices.......

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) And we complain about OM prices.......
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 19:03:29 -0800
Skip Williams wrote:

> The Chinese Red Flag is one of the only known copies of a Leica M camera,
> and as such is very valued by collectors.  It's not much different than
> anything else pursued by obsessive collectors.  I for one didn't even know
> that such an animal existed.  I'm also surprised at its cost!

Skip ....... there are any number of copies of Leica rangefinders. Ten
years or so ago Leica Fotografie magazine had a lengthy series of
articles about fake Leicas. Nikon and Canon got into the act as well as
the Russians and Chinese. I don't know if Red Flag is the only copier of
M models but I do know that perhaps the very finest fakes were made by
Reid in the UK and from what I have read the Reids were pretty close to
the originals in terms of build quality. Why anyone would want a Chinese
made look a like I can't imagine.

> The Compur shuttered, early Leica is VERY rare and the one in the picture
> from the Polish seller looks like it's in almost MINT condition.  If it's
> the original finish and authentic, I'm amazed at the pristine nature of the
> camera.  It obviously was put away with little use.  This is truely a gem of
> a collectible.  Much more interesting than the Chinese camera.

If this Polish offering was genuine it would more likely see the inside
of Sotheby's than being peddled on ebay. My guess is that it is a fake
as well. The images on ebay looked strangely retro as if they had had a
makeover ....... the body painting just did not look as if it was 60 or
70 years old.

Just my two bits.

jh