Re: [OM] Insurance

Subject: Re: [OM] Insurance
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:29:12 -0800
Josh Lohuis wrote:

> My mother (an insurance broker) has decided its time to
> insure all my camera equipment.  I've been using Skip's
> average Ebay prices for all the lenses but I'm at a loss
> when it comes to my body.  How much is an OM-1n worth? Its
> in utter perfect condition, no brassing anywhere (even the
> strap areas).  I just don't know how much to write it down
> as.  Should I use the high values instead of averages, what
> about the fact that some things are rising in price, should
> I factor that in somehow.  When I get everything figured out
> I'll post it so it can be looked over, I wouldn't want to underestimate
>  anything, or overestimate too much :-)

Personally, I'd be inclined to use a dealer price, even though that's higher than what you'd pay if you were buying carefully on eBay. Why? If your body gets stolen, what do you want to do, hope for a reasonable price on a good body on eBay, or call your preferred used equipment dealer and order one the day you get the check from the insurance company?

The question of increasing value is important, too -- there's no automatic increase on items insured at a scheduled value, so you will want to review the scheduled values of your equipment occasionally to make sure it still covers replacement cost. If some items get cheaper that's fine, but if the gear doubles in price once new gear from Olympus is unavailable, your coverage won't automatically increase to cover it.

--
          josh@xxxxxxxxx is Joshua Putnam
            http://www.phred.org/~josh/