Re: [OM] OM1 meter problems?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM1 meter problems?
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 16:34:52 -0600

T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Clint,
>
> Thanks a ton for your mail with your advices.
>
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2002 clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > If you have a newer style meter (where the meter frame is separate from
> > the eyepiece, mostly on 1n's),
>
> Any good (visual) indications on how to detect if it's a newer style
> meter? I'm honestly not sure on this...

Only by removing the top cover.  On the earlier versions of the OM-1, the meter,
eyepiece and meter circuit were held in a frame that went from one side of the
prism to the other.  On the later versions OM-1 (as well as the 1n) the meter,
eyepiece and meter circuit could be removed independently of one another.  A
common problem with this style was that the meter (being in a plastic frame) was
grounded by a thin foil strip which was glued in place on the underside of the
frame.  Occasionally the glue would seep between the foil and body, or the body
would be painted where the foil strip was placed, so that the ground would be
poor
to non-existant.  Cleaning and scraping solved the problem.

By your description, it sounds like the mechanics are OK -- I'd be looking for
electrical maladys.  Another rare but possible problem is that sometimes the
resistors underneath the meter circuit can ground to the body -- check there,
too.