Re: [OM] OM1 meter problems?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM1 meter problems?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 02:04:43 +0100 (CET)
On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Mark Dapoz wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > I tried to pop off the top and see if I could adjust my way out of it (the
> > adjustments available through the "eccentric" on the top of the
> > galvanometer). However this was (as I'd almost expected) not possible -
> > the meter is far too much off.
>
> You didn't by any chance remove the lens mount did you?  On later model OM-1's
> (and all OM-1n's) that will cause the meter string tension to be lost.

I know - and I didn't remove the lens-mount. While it might be
interresting, it would also be a challenge that I'm not up for at this
moment.....

> You
> can check it by setting the camera to 100 asa, speed to B, 50/1.8 mounted and
> set to f1.8.  The needle should roughly center (within a stop or two). If it
> doesn't, that's your problem.

It does center (and did also before I started to mess with it), quite
accurately in the middle of the meter.

> > I am suspecting that it might be the cds-cells that are non-functioning,
> > but there might be other, more probable, things I've overlooked. Anyone
> > with a hint to share?
>
> It's possible, but not likely, the CDS cells hardly ever die.

Was also what I would guess....

> Check all the mechanical items first.

As far as I can see, the mechanical stuff is functioning. The needle
centers in the meter under the conditons you described above, and the
needle moves freely when I manipulate the ASA-dial and/or shutter/apeture
rings. Any more tests I could perform?

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering