Re: [OM] Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 vs. Tokina ATX

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 vs. Tokina ATX
From: mnmitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 07:49:09 -0800
Mike Darling wrote:

> Does anyone here have experience with the Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 or the
> Tokina ATX 80-200/2.8?

I have two of the Tamron SP lenses and they are great performers. I've
had one of these for several years and about a year ago I snagged
another one off eb*y on a BIN of $135.
Just couldn't pass it up. It is a heavy lens as you would expect and as
Moose stated if you can get the tripod mount, that is a bonus. One of
mine has the mount the other doesn't.
Someone on the list designed a mount using items purchased at Home Depot
for less than $10 or $15 bucks. Maybe they will read this and respond.
The other thing to look out for, and it's hard to tell until you
actually get one in your hands, is zoom creep. I've seen a couple of
these in camera stores that have it pretty bad. One of mine is nice and
tight, but the other one has a little zoom creep on the short end of the
zoom.
Here are a few shots I took on a hot sunny day last August.
http://www.ilikeitout.com/JH/index.htm

later,
mike m.