Re: [OM] Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 vs. Tokina ATX

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 vs. Tokina ATX
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 23:18:00 -0800
I have the Tamron SP. Gary Reese tested both at http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm and with the samples he had, the Tamron was clearly better, one of the few zooms that really rival top primes. I haven't done any comparisons, but am very impressed with the pictures I've taken with it. It's fast and sharp. As you would guess from 200/2.8, it's also big and heavy.

You should only buy one if it has the tripod mount ring. The ring can be easily removed and is often not a part of a used sale. I learned the hard way when I bought one from Adorama. Neither they nor I could find a source for one, including from Tamron, and I returned the lens. Later I bought one from an eBay seller whose reserve hadn't been met. I got it cheaper thatn the one from Adorama, in slightly nicer condition and with both the tripod mount and the beautiful metal bayonet mount hood. Although other hoods could be screwed in the filter ring, this one is really solid, in keeping with the lens and reverses ovet the lens body for storage. I would not but one without both the tripod mt. and hood unless it was a terrific bargain. I believe the tripod mount may be the same one used on one or more of the SP big, fast primes.

There is one on eBay right now. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1332923003 <http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1332923003> .It comes with a matched 2x converter, which is easy to find, but the tripod mt. and hood aren't shown or mentioned, so beware.

That $200 deal on ebay was close to a fang. If I'd noticed it, I'd have bought just on spec. The tripod mt..and hood are shown in the pictures. The only one I've noticed on ebay in the last 14-15 months for under $300 was not in great shape. They mostly go for the mid $400s. The Tokinas appear much less frequently and vary more in price.

If you get one, the Lowepro #3 padded lens case sold to attach to their fancy bags fits it perfectly.

Moose

Mike Darling wrote:

Does anyone here have experience with the Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 or the Tokina ATX 80-200/2.8?

How do these two lenses compare quality wise? I'm leaning towards the Tamron now, lured by the Adapt-all mount. I've only seen pictures of the Tamron... Do both come with tripod mounts? Any suggestions on fair used values? There is only one Tamron in the completed auctions that i can find,
 and it was ~$200.  Only one Tokina at ~$150 in Pentax K mnt.

The bigger question would be how do these lenses compare to the Zuiko 180/ 2.8? I can justify owning both the 65-200/4 and the 180 due to the speed differences, but i don't think I'd hesitate selling one or both to finance a faster zoom. Especially a zoom that i could take with me if i move to a different system in the future.

I use the 180 weekly and love it. Same with the 65-200. Is one of these fast zooms going to give me the best of both?