Re: [OM] Photoshop?

Subject: Re: [OM] Photoshop?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:52:47 -0800
At 07:50 AM 15/02/2002 -0600, you wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have a quick question. I might be getting a copy of Corel Draw 10 Graphics Suite (over 13 apps), but if this doesn't end up happening...what program should I get? I wouldn't have a lot of money, and Photoshop seems to be the standard. Is their anything else, or should I just suck it up and buy Photoshop?

Josh:

Photoshop's expensive (around a grand Canadian) if all you're using it for is a "hobby" application. Paint Shop Pro does many of the things Photoshop does (and some things it doesn't), and is priced better for the hobbyist market (around $150.00 CDN). If you want *free* image-editing software, you could always try The GIMP, available in a Windows version here:

   http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32//

Many people really like The GIMP.

I own Photoshop, but that's because my business demands it. It's a good program, but probably over-muscular for many people's needs.

I *don't* recommend stealing it (software piracy). For one thing, more and more individuals are being tracked down by the large software concerns and are having their butts sued off. Remember, they've got way more lawyers than you do, and they're much more motivated. For another thing, you're basically telling people who spent a lot of their precious time and money to develop the program that they don't deserve to receive compensation for it. If you truly believe that, don't use it. (Logical, isn't it?)

Garth

Photoshop pricing seems to be determined by the idea that it is only for professionals who make a lot of money off it. $600 a pop is not cheap and could be even considered predatory if it is not pulling in a lot of money for you. I can sympathize with hobbyists who do not make money with it using a pirated edition, sort of. That said, I would rather be honest and legal too.

Photoshop Elements has almost all the functionality of PhotoShop less the parts that Adobe thinks you do not need if you are a hobbyist. It is about time they brought out a well functioning non pro edition of PS. It is very good and less than a hundred bucks. A friend has been looking for it lately for his Mac, but it seems to have disappeared from the shelves and catalogs. Might be the OS X version is about to come out along with the new version of Photoshop?

I understand that it is not illegal for someone to sell a copy of photoshop that they no longer use, and people do it frequently on your favorite auction site. You can pick up any book on Photoshop 6 and almost everything it says will also apply back to Photoshop 4. Used copies of Photoshop 4 are very cheap.

There are alternatives that others have mentioned, including Canvas, but they are not really much cheaper than Photoshop.

Then there is Graphic Converter which is pretty darn good, especially for the $39 shareware fee.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?