Re: [OM] Help... my big mouth!

Subject: Re: [OM] Help... my big mouth!
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:49:46 -0800 (PST)
Adding my $.02

> I'd suggest a zoom in the 50-135 range, or just use an 85 or
> 100.

If zooms ever had a place, it's in shooting "events".  I used a
35-70 zoom for years.  I primarily use an IS-3 now for events.

> Use 400 speed colour print film for max range & resulting
> prints.

DON'T try shooting events with anything slower than 400.  I find
Portra 400 to be the best choice.  Next choice would be Fuji
800. I've never gotten as good of results with slower films.
Film might be tighter grained, but you just run out of F-stops.

> I'd use OTF auto flash with a big aperture, f2.8 to 4...

Personal trick is to try and keep the ambient light level two
stops under exposed.  In otherwords, pop your OM into auto mode
and adjust the aperture until the shutter speed is reading
around 1/15.  The flash will force the camera into shooting at
1/60 so the background magically drops down two stops.  In most
cases, this will be in the F4-5.6 range.  I like trying to stay
as close to 5.6 as possible as it gives me a bit more DOF and
covers my usual focusing errors.

> Put freshly charged NiCds in your BG2 & T32 for minimal
> recycling time.

NiCds recycle a flash MUCH faster than alkalines.  You will need
a couple of sets and a fresh set of alkalines in your winder
that you can always heist if you need to.

AG