Re: [OM] Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:09:13 +0000
At 20:58 2/11/02, Sean wrote:
[question about diffusion snipped out]

Any thoughts or experiences muchly appreciated!

Sean D.

The slide-in WA diffuser works just fine. You lose about "a stop" worth with it though. In essence, the T-32 becomes a T-20 regarding flash power. The soft boxes (Lumiquest) also work very well. However, with a protruding softbox you need to use the T-32 (or T-20 for that matter) either in TTL Auto or full Manual (by using the distance/GN to set aperture). Normal Auto uses the sensor on the flash head. A protruding softbox will put light directly into the sensor and you end up with under-exposures. This doesn't occur with the Oly WA diffusion panel that slides into the slots in front of the flash tube.

p.s. the reason i'm asking is that a "semi-pro" did my brother's wedding using a bare Metz (45 i think). Everyone ended up looking like they had mullets from the harsh shadows on the wall behind their heads (none of us sport that particular hair-do). i'm to do a friend's wedding (yikes!) in a month or two and i'd like to avoid that whole mullet look ;)

(a) See my tutorial about this if you haven't already done so and make use of what's applicable to your situation:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/wedding/
(b) I'd have to see the prints to be certain. Your description leads me to believe he committed some combination of two errors: (1) People too close to a backdrop or wall, and (2) flash not elevated enough directly above the lens. Some of the information in my tutorial discusses this.

The problem you will likely encounter trying to use a diffuser on a single T-32 for a wedding is lack of flash power the only solution for which is upping the film speed to about ISO 800 (undesirable granularity for weddings). I used a pair of T-32's (has the same power level as a T-45) with no diffusers. In spite of my remarks in the tutorial about using an f/8 aperture, you can get away with f/5.6 if you work carefully and think a little more about the DOF your shots will have.

-- John