Re: [OM] Students...

Subject: Re: [OM] Students...
From: Charles Sdunek <charles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 08:01:37 -0500
At 11:57 PM 2/6/02 +0000, you wrote:
At 03:05 2/7/02, Winsor Crosby wrote:

I believe one of Adams' precepts was a successful artist must be a master technician. No art is without its "science." I've heard remarks in the past about his "trilogy" complaining that it doesn't cover anything (or very, very little) about composition, only the technical. I don't believe he intended his three volumes to be *everything* a photographer needed to know and the "artistic" would be taught or acquired from other sources. He periodically refers to "visualizing" without amplifying much on the "what" or "how" regarding it.

-- John

I believe Ansel was very careful not to give too much direction on artistic visualization so as not to stifle that of his readers. By teaching us the technical aspect, we have the knowledge to go out into the world and develop our own personal styles. All to often photographers become little mirrors of those who taught them.

Charles