Re: [OM] First attempt at lens repair 100 f/2

Subject: Re: [OM] First attempt at lens repair 100 f/2
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 00:06:22 -0800
on 2/2/02 8:29 PM, Brian Swale at bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Recall that 24mm shift lens being sold in Australia that caused so much
> amusement in the group? It had a HUGE gark in the top of the lens *fixed*
> with a dollop of plastic or something to keep the dust out. But it still took
> good shots. I saved the pic of the lens and a photo it had taken. That was an
> extreme example; but I've had very experienced people tell me similar.
>
> Best of luck.
>
> Brian

The front element for the 24-Shift was available from Olympus Japan about
six months ago... I sent the lens I bought, which had a pretty noticable
scratch on the front, and they CLA'd, and replaced the front element. The
glass was ~$270 and the CLA was ~$75 more, and shipping ran the total to
just under $400. At the price I got the lens for originally (with some other
equipment) it is still a good deal. I took some 'before' and 'after' photos,
and there was a noticable soft spot and fuzzy-ness in the 'before' images,
consistent with the scratch's location. This is, of course, not there in the
'after' images. The lens came back in magnificent shape, and the total round
trip took ~5 weeks.

The catch is that if the element is not available anywhere anymore, you have
a wounded lens and no way to fix it... I have an 8mm fisheye and a 16mm
fisheye with that problem. Both need rear elements due to fungus damage, the
8mm needs the last two glass pieces, the 16mm needs only the last one.
Olympus says the 8mm parts are NLA, I haven't asked about the 16mm part
yet... Somebody here recently got a 'fang' on a package that included a
16mm, if they decide not to get the CLA/repair it needs done I would be
interested in that lens for parts for mine...
--

Jim Brokaw