[OM] Re: Darklightimagery from Kentucky

Subject: [OM] Re: Darklightimagery from Kentucky
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 17:46:31 +1300
Hi John,

I have no idea if Christopher Anderson is reading these lines; but here goes
anyway.

I also noticed that he prefaced his pages with the remarks that he *always*
uses a tripod.

But if you read the notes with the photos, it's clear that he also doesn't.
Like
the photo where he was stalking something for 30+ minutes in an icy bog
and the depressions of his knees and elbows filled with water.

Which reminds me; somebody wrote in the last day that when it's cold, you
need to be very careful about handling metal tripods. (Frost-bite, hands
sticking to metal, etc) John Shaw wrapped the legs of his Gitzo (upper
sector only I guess) with insulation tape to reduce this effect. He not only
mentions this but you can se it in the shots of his tripod.

The aspect of Chris Anderson's shots that intrigued me the most is the many
shots he has taken with a Zuiko 300 f/4.5 and extension tubes. Sometimes
many / lots of distance.  And the shots seem sharp, as well as other effects.

So I fitted all my tubes to my 300, and the view through the view-finder was
nothing near as sharp or contrasty as he gets on film. I asked him about his
lens, and he thinks it is nothing out of the ordinary; and apparently used to
sell them (as a living), so says he knows the lens.

I wonder what the group think about variability in the Zuiko 300? I think the
strength of construction and ease of operation are great - I'm just wondering
about the glass.

Brian