Re: [OM] [Fwd: Olympus OM-1 Help Needed]

Subject: Re: [OM] [Fwd: Olympus OM-1 Help Needed]
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 16:25:43 -0800
on 2/2/02 1:39 PM, John Hudson at jahudson@xxxxxxx wrote:

> David McSparron <dmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on the
> rec.photo.technique.people list
>

> "Don't purchae an Olympus OM1 under any circumstances! The batteries for
> it are unobtainable. If you must have an OM camera get the OM3 or OM4."
>
> Is this right?
>
> jh

What Mr. McSparron says is true, but incomplete.

The OM-1 is readily usable with a battery adapter (cost ~$35) or can be
internally modified to use currently available batterys. My recommendation
is a #357 silver-oxide battery and the meter modification. Although the
widely available 625A (alkaline chemistry) fits better in the battery
chamber, the voltage drop during the battery life is much more severe than
the silver-oxide type.

A small rubber o-ring or a plastic sleeve around the silver-oxide battery
will keep it centered in the battery chamber, this may be included by the
repair agency that modifies the meter circuit to handle the 1.5v battery.

The OM-1 will also work without a battery if you use an external meter.
--

Jim Brokaw