Re: [OM] Filters-- Do you use it?

Subject: Re: [OM] Filters-- Do you use it?
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:08:32 -0500

From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:25:08 -0800

<<<<SNIP>>>>

>And to balance Gary's findings one must consider that
>almost all of those spectacularly huge enlargements of Ansel
>Adams were taken with red filters.
>--
>Winsor Crosby
>Long Beach, California

Yeah, but those spectacularly huge enlargements were made from
large format negatives, about the equivalent of blowing 35mm up to
5x7, so any image degradation caused by the filter would be far
less apparent.  And I beg Ansel used good filters, too.

But I agree with the premise that if there's nothing the filter
can add to the photograph, then it doesn't belong on the lens.
Between my Oly stuff and my medium format gear, I've got 30-
something lenses.  I don't keep filters on any of them, and in 40
or so years, I haven't scratched one yet.

Walt Wayman